(click/touch triangles for details)
- On the contrary, this slippery syllable with its lingual and labial consonants and scanty vowel in the middle really began to disgust him after a while, conjuring up for him somehow images of watery milk—something whitish-blue and insipid, particularly when compared with all the robust fodder that Dr. Krokowski was serving up.4.6 - Analysis (34% in)
- By both his manner and answers in religion class, he attracted the attention of the district rabbi, a pious and learned man, who took him on as a private pupil, satisfying the boy's love of formal knowledge with Hebrew and the classics and his passion for logic with mathematics—for all of which the man received very scant thanks.6.6 - Operationes Spirituales (7% in)
- But not a totally detoxified heaven on earth, and there's scant blessing in that—but the escape artist wouldn't believe old man Behrens.6.8 - A Good Soldier (7% in)
- A young Chinese fellow, however, at the other end of the table, whose knowledge of German was scant, had not understood, but had both heard and seen, and announced his own happy satisfaction by calling out "Tres bien!7.2 - Mynheer Peeperkorn (48% in)
- And indeed they were all profoundly moved and embarrassed, He had crossed his hands over his breast and scant beard, his head tilted to one side.7.3 - Vingt et un (76% in)
There are no more uses of "scanty" in The Magic Mountain.
Typical Usage (best examples)