- She hurried off, and her patron promptly received what he wanted.7.2 - Mynheer Peeperkorn (63% in)
- And so Naphta was permitted to enter within the walls of the Stella Matutina, whose challenging academic and social atmosphere had long been an object of his own intellectual longings and appetites; what was more, this turn of events had given him a new teacher and patron far more capable than his previous one of appreciating and fostering his character, a master whose value lay in his cool cosmopolitanism, and it was the lad's greatest desire to enter such circles.6.6 - Operationes Spirituales (13% in)
- He spoke of the Egyptian god Thoth, identical with the Hellenistic god Hermes the Thrice Great, and worshiped as the inventor of writing, the patron of libraries, the inspiration for all intellectual endeavor.6.8 - A Good Soldier (60% in)
- The whole table felt it; even Herr Albin—who wagered with the cold calculation of a croupier in a Monte Carlo casino, where he claimed to have been a regular patron—only partially mastered his agitation.7.3 - Vingt et un (36% in)
- ...more constrained to take sides, when, for example, Leo Naphta defended the fundamental, archrevolutionary nature of the Church against the teachings of Herr Settembrini, who asserted that her sole historical purpose had been to serve as the patron of the dark forces of inertia and reaction and then went on to claim that the affirmation of life and a future open to revolution and renewal was bound up with the opposing principles of enlightenment, science, and progress, which had arisen...7.4 - Mynheer Peeperkorn (Continued) (33% in)
There are no more uses of "patron" in The Magic Mountain.
Typical Usage (best examples)