All 4 Uses of
- Such snatches as you could hem told of the suffering of the divinity, of the Exile of Providence, who, according to the cabala, awaits his deliverance in that of man.
Chpt 1 (definition 1)according to = as stated by; or in agreement with
- He was probably glad to see that I had come back of my own accord, as I had promised.
Chpt 4 (definition 2) *own accord = own mind (voluntarily)
- According to the law … prisoner Number… is condemned to death.
Chpt 4 (definition 1) *according to = as stated by (in keeping with)
- Everything was in order, according to the prearranged plan.
Chpt 5 (definition 1)according to = as stated by; or in agreement with
(1) (accord as in: according to, or in accord with) in keeping with; or in agreement/harmony/unity withThis meaning of accord is often seen in the form according to or accordingly where it can take on more specific meanings. For example:
- "According to Kim, ..." -- as stated by
- "To each according to her ability." -- based upon
- "Points are scored according to how well they perform." -- depending upon
- "The dose is calculated according to body weight." -- in proportion to
- "We got a flat tire. Accordingly, I pulled to the side of the road." -- because of what was just said; or as a result
(2) (accord as in: done of her own accord) mindeditor's notes: This sense of accord is typically seen in the form own accord or one accord.