(click/touch triangles for details)
- She had rushed into the adventure of seeking her unknown kindred, the gypsies; and now she was in this strange lane, she hardly dared look on one side of her, lest she should see the diabolical blacksmith in his leathern apron grinning at her with arms akimbo.1.11 -- Book 1 Chapter 11 -- Maggie Tries to Run away from Her Shadow (25% in)
- But old Christmas smiled as he laid this cruel-seeming spell on the outdoor world, for he meant to light up home with new brightness, to deepen all the richness of indoor color, and give a keener edge of delight to the warm fragrance of food; he meant to prepare a sweet imprisonment that would strengthen the primitive fellowship of kindred, and make the sunshine of familiar human faces as welcome as the hidden day-star.2.2 -- Book 2 Chapter 2 -- The Christmas Holidays (8% in)
- ...of anything that was becoming, or that belonged to that eternal fitness of things which was plainly indicated in the practice of the most substantial parishioners, and in the family traditions,—such as obedience to parents, faithfulness to kindred, industry, rigid honesty, thrift, the thorough scouring of wooden and copper utensils, the hoarding of coins likely to disappear from the currency, the production of first-rate commodities for the market, and the general preference of...4.1 -- Book 4 Chapter 1 -- A Variation of Protestantism Unknown to Bossuet (64% in)
- The right thing must always be done toward kindred.4.1 -- Book 4 Chapter 1 -- A Variation of Protestantism Unknown to Bossuet (76% in)
- In not telling his father, he was influenced by that strange mixture of opposite feelings which often gives equal truth to those who blame an action and those who admire it,—partly, it was that disinclination to confidence which is seen between near kindred, that family repulsion which spoils the most sacred relations of our lives; partly, it was the desire to surprise his father with a great joy.5.2 -- Book 5 Chapter 2 -- Aunt Glegg Learns the Breadth of Bob's Thumb (98% in)
There are no more uses of "kindred" in The Mill on the Floss.
Typical Usage (best examples)