(click/touch triangles for details)
- Mr. Bulstrode, bending and looking intently, found the form which Lydgate had given to his agreement not quite suited to his comprehension.Book 2 — Old and Young (3% in)
- A much more exemplary character with an infusion of sour dignity would not have furthered their comprehension of the Thirty-nine Articles, and would have been less socially uniting.Book 1 — Miss Brooke (40% in)
- Then she went towards him, and might have represented a heaven-sent angel coming with a promise that the short hours remaining should yet be filled with that faithful love which clings the closer to a comprehended grief.Book 4 — Three Love Problems (97% in)
- "Yes, Lydgate is bored," said Will, who had more comprehension of Lydgate than Rosamond had, and was not offended by his manner, easily imagining outdoor causes of annoyance.Book 6 — The Widow and Wife (55% in)
- "Oh, if it is Ladislaw's present," said Mr. Farebrother, in a deep tone of comprehension, getting up and hunting.Book 8 — Sunset and Sunrise (54% in)
There are no more uses of "comprehend" in Middlemarch.
Typical Usage (best examples)