All 3 Uses of
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
- Breathing like sanctified and pious bawds, The better to beguile.
Scene 1.3 (definition 1) *pious = highly religious and moral
- The first row of the pious chanson will show you more; for look where my abridgment comes.
Scene 2.2 (definition 1)pious = religious
- —We are oft to blame in this,— 'tis too much prov'd,—that with devotion's visage And pious action we do sugar o'er The Devil himself.
Scene 3.1 (definition 2) *pious = appearing highly religious and moral even though it's not true
(1) (pious as in: a good, pious woman) religious or highly moral
(2) (pious as in: a pious hypocrite) self-righteous (acting as though one is, or believing one is highly moral when it is not true)