- Why did Bloom refrain from stating that he had frequented the university of life?Episode 17 — Ithaca (24% in)
- He caught himself in the act: looked at all: refrained.Episode 9 — Scylla And Charybdis (80% in)
- By the provost's wall came jauntily Blazes Boylan, stepping in tan shoes and socks with skyblue clocks to the refrain of My girl's a Yorkshire girl.Episode 10 — Wandering Rocks (97% in)
- The presence even for a moment among a party of debauchees of a woman endued with every quality of modesty and not less severe than beautiful refrained the humourous sallies even of the most licentious but her departure was the signal for an outbreak of ribaldry.Episode 14 — Oxen Of The Sun (50% in)
- In vain the voice of Mr Canvasser Bloom was heard endeavouring to urge, to mollify, to refrain.Episode 14 — Oxen Of The Sun (59% in)
- An acclimatised Britisher, he had seen that summer eve from the footplate of an engine cab of the Loop line railway company while the rain refrained from falling glimpses, as it were, through the windows of loveful households in Dublin city and urban district of scenes truly rural of happiness of the better land with Dockrell's wallpaper at one and ninepence a dozen, innocent Britishborn bairns lisping prayers to the Sacred Infant, youthful scholars grappling with their pensums or...Episode 15 — Circe (19% in)
There are no more uses of "refrain" in Ulysses by James Joyce.
Typical Usage (best examples)