- For the first time he perceived that if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself.Chapter 21 (81% in)
- Tragedy, he perceived, belonged to the ancient time, to a time when there was still privacy, love, and friendship, and when the members of a family stood by one another without needing to know the reason.Chapter 3 (14% in)
- And it is the same, he perceived, in all seemingly heroic or tragic situations.Chapter 8 (94% in)
- The best books, he perceived, are those that tell you what you know already.Chapter 17 (46% in)
- All the beliefs, habits, tastes, emotions, mental attitudes that characterize our time are really designed to sustain the mystique of the Party and prevent the true nature of present-day society from being perceived.Chapter 17 (69% in)
- It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction.Chapter 17 (73% in)
There are no more uses of "perceive" in 1984 (Nineteen Eighty-Four) by Orwell.
Typical Usage (best examples)