- But now—since I am irrevocably doomed—wherefore should I not snatch the solace allowed to the condemned culprit before his execution?Chapter 18 — A Flood of Sunshine (34% in)
- But on one side of the portal, and rooted almost at the threshold, was a wild rose-bush, covered, in this month of June, with its delicate gems, which might be imagined to offer their fragrance and fragile beauty to the prisoner as he went in, and to the condemned criminal as he came forth to his doom, in token that the deep heart of Nature could pity and be kind to him.Chapter 1 — The Prison Door (68% in)
- The very law that condemned her—a giant of stern features but with vigour to support, as well as to annihilate, in his iron arm—had held her up through the terrible ordeal of her ignominy.Chapter 5 — Hester at her Needle (5% in)
- It may seem marvellous that, with the world before her—kept by no restrictive clause of her condemnation within the limits of the Puritan settlement, so remote and so obscure—free to return to her birth-place, or to any other European land, and there hide her character and identity under a new exterior, as completely as if emerging into another state of being—and having also the passes of the dark, inscrutable forest open to her, where the wildness of her nature might assimilate itself...Chapter 5 — Hester at her Needle (13% in)
- ...European land, and there hide her character and identity under a new exterior, as completely as if emerging into another state of being—and having also the passes of the dark, inscrutable forest open to her, where the wildness of her nature might assimilate itself with a people whose customs and life were alien from the law that had condemned her—it may seem marvellous that this woman should still call that place her home, where, and where only, she must needs be the type of shame.Chapter 5 — Hester at her Needle (15% in)
- They little guessed what deadly purport lurked in those self-condemning words.Chapter 11 — The Interior of a Heart (70% in)
There are no more uses of "condemn" in The Scarlet Letter.
Typical Usage (best examples)