(click/touch triangles for details)
in various senses, including:
- coming from or existing outside a place, organization or thing — as in "external trade"
- forming or relating to an outside boundary — as in "external walls"
- on the surface or superficial as contrasted to something that is deep or complete — as in "external appearances"
- External trade makes up almost half of the country's economy.
external = outside (in this case, trade with people and companies in other countries)
- This medicine is for external use only.
- The external walls of the building are made of concrete and are eight inches thick.
- External appearances are good, but I don't he real condition.
- 80% of the country's debt is held externally.
- Can she hold to her principles or will she give in to external pressure?
- An external, certified audit is required each year.
- The phone's camera can be used with external lenses.
- What do you do for external backup of your data in case the phone is lost?
- Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy.George Orwell -- 1984
- By what external standard could you check its judgements?George Orwell -- 1984
- Power over matter — external reality, as you would call it — is not important.George Orwell -- 1984
- But I tell you, Winston, that reality is not external.George Orwell -- 1984
- You believe that reality is something objective, external, existing in its own right.George Orwell -- 1984
- For in that case each would still be a self-contained universe, freed forever from the sobering influence of external danger.George Orwell -- 1984
- It struck him that in moments of crisis one is never fighting against an external enemy, but always against one's own body.George Orwell -- 1984
- If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then?George Orwell -- 1984
- When there were no external records that you could refer to, even the outline of your own life lost its sharpness.George Orwell -- 1984
- There was a small puncture with little evidence of external bleeding.Eudora Welty -- The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty
- Sometimes he says we have gone from being IDPs to EDPs—externally displaced persons.Malala Yousafzai -- I Am Malala
external = outside (of the body)
external = outside
Dictionary / pronunciation — Google®Dictionary / more samples — Oxford® USDictionary list — Onelook.com®
Search for other examples by interest
Interest — SourceGeneral — Google News®
General — Time® Magazine
General — Wikipedia®
Architecture — Google® books - Architecture
Business — Bloomberg®
Business — The Economist®
Classic Literature — Google® books - Classical Literature
Engineering — Google® books - Engineering
Engineering — Popular Mechanics®
Engineering — Discover Magazine®
Fine Arts & Music — Google® books - Art
History — Google® books - History
Human Behavior — Google® books - Psychology
Human Behavior — Psychology Today®
Law — FindLaw®
Law — Google® books - Law
Logic & Reasoning — Google® books - Reasoning
Medicine — Web MD®
Medicine — Google® books - Medicine
Nature & Ecology — National Geographic®
Nature & Ecology — Google® books - Nature
Personal Finance — Kiplinger® (Personal Finance)
Philosophy — Google® books - Philosophy
Public Policy & Politics — Newsweek®
Public Policy & Politics — Real Clear Politics®
Public Policy & Politics — Google® books - Politics
Religion & Spirtuality — Google® books - Religion
Religion - Christianity — Bible Gateway®
Religion - Christianity — Google® books - Christianity
Science — Popular Science®
Science — Scientific American®
Science — Google® books - Science
Sports — Sports Illustrated®