(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionan unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone
Less commonly, fixation can reference chemical bonding (especially of Nitrogen in the soil), or an arrested stage of development theorized by Freud (as in oral fixation), or (especially in medicine) the activity of fastening something firmly in position. To see those or other specialized meanings, check the Wikipedia or Dictionary with Pronunciation links.
- Rather than leadership, we see a fixation on daily poll results.
- The fixation on short-term profits eroded long-term growth.
- an excessive fixation on the opposite sex
- Obsessions and fixations are not really my field. All I know, when the mind really grabs hold of something, look out.Martin Sage and Sybil Adelman
- "Mina's fixated on birds just now," said Mrs. McKee.David Almond -- Skellig
- The elder's face was white, fixated on the water.Ted Dekker -- Red: The Heroic Rescue
- Was this fixation with keeping me human really about my soul, or was it because he wasn't sure that he wanted me around that long?Stephenie Meyer -- New Moon
- He was fixated on the idea that Steven Kemp had taken his people.Stephen King -- Cujo
- My eyes were fixated on his lips, the white teeth gleaming behind them.Alexandra Bracken -- The Darkest Minds
- Belle's fixation on Harlon's place in the photograph, though, remained unshakable.James Bradley -- Flags of Our Fathers
- And someone who will not admit to being preoccupied with sex can be the first to be incensed at other people's sex-fixation.Jostein Gaarder -- Sophie's World
- Whatever sick fixation you have with me ends here today.Heather Brewer -- Tenth Grade Bleeds
- While he'd been killing Afghanis in the desert, his mind had finally fixated on that hole.David Baldacci -- Zero Day
- I fell on my back, my eyes still fixated on Mother.Dave Pelzer -- The Lost Boy
- There is also this fixation that Clover has about her mother.Dori Sanders -- Clover
- They don't all turn out harmless — if, indeed, you can call Hagrid harmless, with that monster fixation he's got —"J.K. Rowling -- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- He exhaled, his mind fixated on the primitive but eerie similarities between Astaroth and this ancient Wanderer of the shaman's tale.Henry H. Neff -- The Maelstrom
- The crowd pressed toward the stage, fixated on the case.Ransom Riggs -- Hollow City
- It took me a long time but I soon became aware of an underlying, pervasive fixation for violence among the people of the island.Pat Conroy -- The Water is Wide
- Instead I'm fixated by the writing on the stall door, how Ally laughed and pointed to the copycat artists elsewhere.Lauren Oliver -- Before I Fall
fixated = compulsively preoccupied (can't stop thinking about)