(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionin the days before printing presses and related technology: someone employed to write copies of documents or write what someone said
More rarely, scribe can reference a writer — especially a journalist. It can also reference a religious teacher from biblical times. Even more rarely, it can reference a sharp-pointed tool for marking wood or metal to be cut; or a line made on metal or wood such as might be used to indicate where material should be cut.
- The scribe was expected to perform his task with purity of spirit.
scribe = someone employed to write copies of documents (from the days before printing presses)
- With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, historians learned that Jewish scribes were very accurate.
- That my master, being scribe, to himself should write the letter?Shakespeare -- Two Gentlemen of Verona
- Of course scribes have always cleared up their masters' punctuation, adding a comma here, a hyphen there.Mark Helprin -- A Soldier of the Great War
- Half a dozen bored scribes sat in open stalls, waiting for some custom.George R.R. Martin -- A Feast For Crows
- Who denounced in unmeasured terms the exploiters of his own time: 'Woe unto you, scribes and pharisees, hypocrites!Upton Sinclair -- The Jungle
- You must be scribe and write him all down, so that when the others return from their work you can give it to them, then they shall know as we do.Bram Stoker -- Dracula
- "He's been talking himself hoarse for days, and the scribes are taking it all down-geology, mining, metallurgy, petroleum chemistry ...."Roger Zelazny -- Lord of Light
- Whether the dream now purposed to rehearse Be Poet's or Fanatic's will be known When this warm scribe my hand is in the grave.Dan Simmons -- Hyperion
- I can flip it backwards and scribe in the markings, okay?Tom Clancy -- The Hunt for Red October
- The scribes chuckled again, and the bonzes nodded at each other, grinning.Cornelia Funke -- Inkheart
- We have a scribe, and we will go to town with you and have the deed properly sealed.Leo Tolstoy -- How Much Land Does a Man Need?
- We ate the food in near silence, the Korean family way, bent over the steaming crocks and dishes like scribing monks.Chang-rae Lee -- Native Speaker
- He de-scribed how he would ride the horse if given the chance.Laura Hillenbrand -- Seabiscuit
- The scholastics were sort of the scribes of the Middle Ages, the dogmatic philosophers, if you like—hmm.Thomas Mann -- The Magic Mountain
- At his feet was placed a table, occupied by two scribes, chaplains of the Order, whose duty it was to reduce to formal record the proceedings of the day.Sir Walter Scott -- Ivanhoe
- It is from Sin-samuh, the Scribe.Neal Stephenson -- Snow Crash
- Like taut wires embedded in her skin, her face was scribed with a delicate pattern of lines-the greatest display of age Eragon had seen in an elf.Christopher Paolini -- Eldest
- The Bishops place themselves on each side the court, in manner of consistory; below them, the Scribes.William Shakespeare -- Henry VIII
- " 'From the tomb of the scribe Ipi,' " I read aloud.Rick Riordan -- The Throne of Fire
scribes = workers employed to write copies of documents in the days before printing presses