(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionto put ideas, principles, or teachings into another's mind
Much more rarely, instill can reference pouring something (usually medicine) one drop at a time.
- His time in the army instilled him with confidence and discipline.
- Her parents instilled the lesson that it is more important to be a good person than to be a successful person.
- Her presence instilled faith into the children
- instill medication into my eye
- As we tried to instill in each of our subjects over and over,WICKED is good.James Dashner -- The Death Cure
- No one had instilled into him this love for Pierre whom he saw only occasionally.Leo Tolstoy -- War and Peace
- I now attribute my vain desire to my education, which had instilled in me the splendid and reckless belief that everything can be explained.Mark Helprin -- A Soldier of the Great War
- I'll train the girl, teach her how to protect herself and instill in her how to control the magic of Air.Micheal Scott -- The Alchemyst
- I hate him for instilling awful things in my memory and somehow making me grieve for him in the midst of all the awful.Colleen Hoover -- Hopeless
- He instills confidence in his troops.Rick Riordan -- The Throne of Fire
- It was she who instilled theatre in all of us.Michael Ondaatje -- Running in the Family
- An attempt to instill order into a world gone wrong.Arundhati Roy -- The God of Small Things
- The old walrus in fact managed to instill in me a great and burning ambition; it had simply found expression in an unintended pursuit.Jon Krakauer -- Into the Wild
- A code that would instill discipline, restrain passion, and order his steps.Wes Moore -- The Other Wes Moore
- That interview instilled In Meme the same feeling of bravery that she had felt on the drunken evening.Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- One Hundred Years of Solitude
- They instilled in their children and grandchildren that same love of country and a spirit of optimism.Jay Allison, et al. -- This I Believe
- There was a newfound confidence there, something instilled in him through becoming a Two, becoming a soldier.Kiera Cass -- The Elite
- We don't have to do much discipline anymore because we instilled that respect when they were young.Willie & Korie Robertson -- The Duck Commander Family
- Whether the bat made a difference, or it was merely the confidence she instilled in Baltazar, he hit a single into left.W. William Winokur -- The Perfect Game
- I attempt to instill a bunch of bobby-soxers and drug-store Romeos with reverence for Hawthorne and Whitman and Poe!Tennessee Williams -- A Streetcar Named Desire