(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionevil or harmful; or making an evil or frightening impression
Much more rarely and only in very old usage, sinister can refer to the left side of something.
- They created a sinister plan to recruit terrorists.
sinister = evil
- In the movie, there was a sinister plot to kill people and harvest their organs.
- The storm clouds look sinister.
- Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told the other two about Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee.J.K. Rowling -- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- And with this doubt, his whole statement fell to pieces, and I wondered if there wasn't something a little sinister about him, after all.F. Scott Fitzgerald -- The Great Gatsby
- I lived at West Egg, the — well, the less fashionable of the two, though this is a most superficial tag to express the bizarre and not a little sinister contrast between them.F. Scott Fitzgerald -- The Great Gatsby
- I could see nothing sinister about him.F. Scott Fitzgerald -- The Great Gatsby
- For all I knew he was going to rob the house in a moment; I wouldn't have been surprised to see sinister faces, the faces of "Wolfshiem's people," behind him in the dark shrubbery.F. Scott Fitzgerald -- The Great Gatsby
- You looked as if you were bent on some sinister errand, and after you had left me I wondered whether I ought to have let you go.Henry James -- The American
- He fought against the Shade's sinister thoughts, weakly at first, then more strongly.Christopher Paolini -- Eragon
- At night, the cooking fires of squatters living in it gave the structure a sinister jack-o-lantern glow.Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin -- Three Cups of Tea
- Police cars and sinister-looking black vans blocked the curbs all around us.Rick Riordan -- The Red Pyramid
- "It looks pretty sinister," he said.John Howard Griffin -- Black Like Me
- Thin-Face dashed into the room, his face lit with a sinister smile of victory.Ji-Li Jiang -- Red Scarf Girl
- It seemed strange, almost sinister, to see the U.S. coast marked in Russian.Tom Clancy -- The Hunt for Red October
- Because the faint light of the ship was behind him, his face was hidden in shadow, but there was something sinister about it.James Dashner -- The Kill Order
- I feel a thread tugging me again, but this time I know that it isn't some sinister force dragging me toward death.Veronica Roth -- Allegiant
- When he saw it first, it was a dull and almost sinister red, with a few faint markings near its crown that he could not dearly distinguish.Arthur C. Clarke -- Childhood's End
- 'As I stared at this sinister apparition crawling towards me, I felt a tickling on my cheek as though a fly had lighted there.H.G. Wells -- The Time Machine
- Simple motives took on sinister colors.Richard Wright -- Black Boy
sinister = evil
sinister = threatening
sinister = foreshadowing bad things
sinister = foreshadowing harm
sinister = evil or frightening
sinister = frightening