(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionthe study of language
- The linguistics expert testified as to the meaning of "event". It would cost the insurance company an additional 3.5 billion dollars if the jury determined that the Twin Towers were brought down by two events instead of one.
- My research is in the field of sexual linguistics, specifically the way that young people discuss sex and related questions.John Green -- Looking for Alaska
- The actress's wrist was locked in the linguistics professor's grip; she could do nothing to pry it loose.Milan Kundera -- The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- My real education in lupine linguistics began a few days after Ootek's arrival.Farley Mowat -- Never Cry Wolf
- In the second half of the twentieth century, "mere matters of words" became the study of an ever-expanding branch of the social sciences, linguistics.Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
- Art might know of someone—a linguistics student, a retired professor old enough to be versed in the traditional characters and not just the simplified ones.Amy Tan -- The Bonesetter's Daughter
- It's the story of a middle-aged man who'd come from a farm in the Middle West, who's taciturn and unhappy as a teacher of linguistics and now has reached a critical point in his life.Eudora Welty -- One Writer's Beginnings
- Linguistics?Patrick Rothfuss -- The Name of the Wind
- At the University of Washington and later at Seattle University, he immersed himself in anthropology, history, philosophy, and linguistics, accumulating hundreds of credit hours without collecting a degree.Jon Krakauer -- Into the Wild
- Comparative linguistics has traced even deeper roots, reaching back beyond the early third millennium when the peoples who would become the Greeks first broke off from their kindred linguistic groups and descended into the Balkan peninsula.Homer -- The Iliad
- A linguistics colleague of Art's had given Ruth his name.Amy Tan -- The Bonesetter's Daughter
- Merdesaid the linguistics professor (in perfect French).Milan Kundera -- The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- The Ebonics story consumed laymen and the linguistics community.Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
- When at last the linguistics professor let go of the American actress's wrist, the German pop singer with the black beard and white flag called out her name.Milan Kundera -- The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- Of the making of books and articles about linguistics there is no end, and much study apparently does not weary the antagonists' flesh.Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
- Over decaf cappuccinos one evening, she learned that Art had grown up in New York, and had a doctorate in linguistics from UC Berkeley.Amy Tan -- The Bonesetter's Daughter
- Art worked as a linguistics consultant, this year on cases involving deaf prisoners who had been arrested and tried without access to interpreters.Amy Tan -- The Bonesetter's Daughter
- Two other linguists, Cecilia Cutler and Renee Blake of the Linguistics Department at New York University, studied the attitudes of teachers in six New York high schools.Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
- Simon regarded the publication of Webster's Third New International Dictionary in 1961 as a "resounding victory" for descriptive linguistics and "seminally sinister" for its permissiveness.Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
- Linguistics, the science of language, truly flowered as an academic discipline in the 1960s, followed more recently by sociolinguistics, the study of the interaction of language and society.Robert MacNeil and William Crane -- Do You Speak American?
Search for other examples by interest
Interest — SourceGeneral — Google News®
General — Time® Magazine
General — Wikipedia®
Architecture — Google® books - Architecture
Business — Bloomberg®
Business — The Economist®
Classic Literature — Google® books - Classical Literature
Engineering — Google® books - Engineering
Engineering — Popular Mechanics®
Engineering — Discover Magazine®
Fine Arts & Music — Google® books - Art
History — Google® books - History
Human Behavior — Google® books - Psychology
Human Behavior — Psychology Today®
Law — FindLaw®
Law — Google® books - Law
Logic & Reasoning — Google® books - Reasoning
Medicine — Web MD®
Medicine — Google® books - Medicine
Nature & Ecology — National Geographic®
Nature & Ecology — Google® books - Nature
Personal Finance — Kiplinger® (Personal Finance)
Philosophy — Google® books - Philosophy
Public Policy & Politics — Newsweek®
Public Policy & Politics — Real Clear Politics®
Public Policy & Politics — Google® books - Politics
Religion & Spirtuality — Google® books - Religion
Religion - Christianity — Bible Gateway®
Religion - Christianity — Google® books - Christianity
Science — Popular Science®
Science — Scientific American®
Science — Google® books - Science
Sports — Sports Illustrated®