(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionthe dominance or leadership of one social group or nation over all others
- They are the most powerful, but they don't have complete hegemony.
hegemony = the dominance or leadership of one social group or nation over all others
- After the downfall of the Soviet Union, many said the United States enjoyed practical hegemony.
- Right now there's a vast international fleet and army in existence, with American hegemony.Orson Scott Card -- Ender's Game
- France, Russia, and China may well have common interests in challenging U.S. hegemony, but their very different cultures are likely to make it difficult for them to organize an effective coalition to do so.Samuel P. Huntington -- Global Perspectives on War and Peace -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.16661,filter.all/pub_detail.asp (retrieved 06/29/06)
- [Primakov doctrine] ...that Russia, China, and Iran must cooperate to counterbalance American hegemony...Samuel P. Huntington -- Global Perspectives on War and Peace -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.16661,filter.all/pub_detail.asp (retrieved 06/29/06)
- Clearly the euro could pose an important challenge to the hegemony of the dollar in global finance.Samuel P. Huntington -- Global Perspectives on War and Peace -- http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.16661,filter.all/pub_detail.asp (retrieved 06/29/06)
- The hegemony of a single member state is not incompatible with a genuine confederation.
- The American hegemonic threat is less immediate and more diffuse than the threats of imminent military conquest posed by previous European hegemons to their neighbors.
- During the 20th century, the U.S. fought two large wars in Europe to stop a hegemonic Germany from threatening America's backyard.Christopher Layne -- Supremacy Is America's Weakness -- http://www.cato.org/research/articles/layne-030813.html (retrieved 06/28/06)
- They did not know if it was a war of ideology or economics or hegemony or spite.Tim O'Brien -- Going After Cacciato
- He was speaking to Genet in Tigrinya, but I heard a few English words: "hegemony" and "proletariat."Abraham Verghese -- Cutting for Stone
- In the German spirit the matriarchal link with nature rules in the form of the hegemony of music to an extent unknown in any other people.Hermann Hesse -- Steppenwolf
- They are incapable either of self-rule or of accepting the hegemony of their superiors.Pat Conroy -- The Lords of Discipline
- This went on for years, right up to the war between the Russo-Anglo-American Alliance and the Chinese Hegemony.Robert A. Heinlein -- Starship Troopers
- His career extends from the industry's modest origins to its current hamburger hegemony.Eric Schlosser -- Fast Food Nation
- It is in the interest of the Hegemony that you accept.Dan Simmons -- Hyperion
- Northerners whose political power depended on maintaining the Federal hegemony over the former Confederate states resisted any effort to heal sectional strife.John F. Kennedy -- Profiles in Courage
- The government portrayed itself as a bulwark against the return of alien, Tutsi hegemony, the ever-present threat, which events in Burundi made entirely plausible.Tracy Kidder -- Strength in What Remains
- Lately we had hoped that Attolia would take Sounis and be content once he was no longer a threat to her throne, whereas Sounis's goal has been to expand his hegemony.Megan Whalen Turner -- Queen of Attolia
- THE HEGEMONY WRESTED from the enemy, the freedom won from the malice of the monster, the life energy released from the toils of the tyrant Holdfast—is symbolized as a woman.Joseph Campbell -- The Hero With a Thousand Faces
hegemony = dominance