(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitiona representative sent on a mission — often representing a government
Much more rarely, envoy can reference a specific level of minister in the UK or a brief stanza concluding certain forms of poetry.
- Iran's top envoy to the United Nations nuclear agency dismissed the accusation.
- The envoy asked for an extension of the peace talks.
- The State Department's new envoy to North Korea has a good understanding of the region.
- The Greeks take up their dead and send envoys to the Trojans demanding the surrender of Helen and the treasure with her.Homer -- Collection Of Hesiod, Homer and Homerica
- Ulysses once came here as envoy about yourself, and Menelaus with him.Homer -- The Iliad
- Let us kneel down with joy And praise the kind deeds of his envoy.Jean-Baptiste Poquelin Moliere -- Tartuffe
- We are from a shepherd tribe, and envoys of heaven.Boris Pasternak -- Doctor Zhivago
- "The second step you must take — and at once," Dumbledore pressed on, "is to send envoys to the giants."J.K. Rowling -- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Majestically sad, he sits in state, And bids his envoys their success relate.Virgil -- The Aeneid
- "Excuse me, abbe," said the envoy of the prefect of the police, "but the light tries my eyes very much."Alexandre Dumas -- The Count of Monte Cristo
- The envoy's life proceeded along the tracks laid down for him, and it seemed inconceivable it could have proceeded any other way.Thomas Mann -- The Magic Mountain
- One was George Bush, who had just finished serving as the first U.S. envoy to China after President Richard Nixon's visit in 1972.Li Cunxin -- Mao's Last Dancer
- That afternoon the dour Braavosi envoy turned up for his audience.George R.R. Martin -- A Feast For Crows
- Matron got the British and Indian embassies to promise to send their envoys in the morning.Abraham Verghese -- Cutting for Stone
- The envoy had indeed good reason to hang his head.William Makepeace Thackeray -- Vanity Fair
- Some enigma, some riddle: come, thy l'envoy; begin.William Shakespeare -- Love's Labour's Lost
- An envoy of the Duke of Buckingham, named Montague, was taken, and proof was obtained of a league between the German Empire, Spain, England, and Lorraine.Alexandre Dumas -- The Three Musketeers
- With Franceand America now joined in common cause, he was no longer the envoy of a friendly nation but of an ally.David McCullough -- John Adams
- Sometimes they did, when Father had to dine with the king or some lord or the envoys from this place or that place.George R.R. Martin -- A Game of Thrones
- Some years later, when Lord Farman of Faircastle grew truculent, Lord Tywin sent an envoy bearing a lute instead of a letter.George R.R. Martin -- A Storm of Swords