(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitionbreak — as in break an understanding or a break (gap) in a wall
A less common meaning of breach is the rising and breaking out of the water by a whale.
- He was sued for breach of contract.
breach = breaking
- Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;Shakespeare, William -- King Henry V
- ...it is a custom more honoured in the breach than the observance.William Shakespeare
- Look at the whales out there breaching.Ben Mikaeslen -- Touching Spirit Bear
- ...the breach in it is wide.J.R.R. Tolkien -- The Two Towers
- If the outer wall were breached, archers would be posted on all the roofs.Christopher Paolini -- Eragon
- 8TH JUROR: He may have lied. [To the 10TH JUROR.] Do you think he lied?
10TH JUROR: Now that's a stupid question. Sure he lied.
8TH JUROR [to the 4TH JUROR]: Do you?
4TH JUROR: You know my answer. He lied.
8TH JUROR [to the 5TH JUROR]: Do you think he lied?
5TH JUROR: I'm not sure . . . [He breaks off and looks nervously around.]
3RD JUROR [leaping into the breach]: You're not sure about what? ...Reginald Rose -- Twelve Angry Men
- To open it would have been a breach of trust.Stoker, Bram -- The Lair of the White Worm
- ...it made the family breach much more difficult to mend...Eliot, George -- The Mill on the Floss
- ...even she has left her, considering this a breach of propriety.Tolstoy, Leo -- Anna Karenina
- But I in danger for the breach of law.Shakespeare, William -- King Henry VI, Part 2
- —-They have made a breach in the barriers—-they rush in—-they are thrust back.Scott, Walter -- Ivanhoe
- A river whose estuary resembles a breach in a sand rampart may flow through a most fertile country.Conrad, Joseph -- The Mirror of the Sea
- Ship appears to have sunk very quickly, which would indicate a major hull breach.Yann Martel -- Life of Pi
- I had begun to fear for it, when I realized that it was very small, but in a breach position.Katherine Paterson -- Jacob Have I Loved
- Commerce will never forgive a breach of trust like that.Pat Conroy -- The Lords of Discipline
- The breaching of the Nazarene grew harder, his sighs became great gasps.Lew Wallace -- Ben Hur
- The drums beat in a frenetic tattoo, and I don't have to understand their strange language to know that it's a breach alarm.Sabaa Tahir -- An Ember in the Ashes
- Enter three abreast, as at the breach of Pontoise.Victor Hugo -- The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- A trial date for young Vladimir has not yet been discussed, but I do not think it will be long before the subject is breached.Heather Brewer -- Tenth Grade Bleeds
breaching = rising and breaking out of the water
breach = gap (in the wall)
breached = broken through
breach = break