(click/touch triangles for details)
position or state of being dominant or in control
- Secularism dominates Europe, but Islam is ascendant.
- Our core values of freedom and opportunity are ascendant around the globe.Joseph Lieberman (US Senator)
- Christianity is ascendant in Africa.
- Markets are ascendant in Europe and China, but are retreating in the face of increased regulation in the United States.
- Justice Rehnquist went to the Supreme Court in 1972, at a time of ascendant judicial activism.C. Boyden Gray (US Ambassador to the E.U. appointed by GW Bush)
- the economically ascendant class
- that idea was in the ascendant
- Bonds are ascendant right now; while interests in stocks has waned.
- Tweedy had tried to explain that a magechain was not a proper accessory for an Ascendant's robes, but the girl had refused to part with it.Henry H. Neff -- The Maelstrom
- Ethnic violence lent strength both to Tutsi supremacists in exile and to ideologues of Hutu power, ascendant inside Rwanda.Tracy Kidder -- Strength in What Remains
- He died in 1804, when the cultural epoch we call Romanticism was in the ascendant.Jostein Gaarder -- Sophie's World
- Galbatorix is ascendant, and every race fights to remain free of his rule.Christopher Paolini -- Brisingr
- Abraham Lincoln is the undisputed leader of the world's most ascendant nation, a country spanning three thousand miles and touching two oceans.Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard -- Killing Lincoln
- Ascendants had great stores of the Old Magic in them; they were very powerful.Henry H. Neff -- The Hound of Rowan
- Just now the first feeling was in the ascendant with Bathsheba, with a dash of the second.Thomas Hardy -- Far from the Madding Crowd
- Most of them were called something relief: ASCENDANT RELIEF, ENDOGENOUS RELIEF, MOTIVE RELIEF, GALVANIC RELIEF.Barbara Kingsolver -- The Bean Trees
- I shall briefly observe, that our situation invites and our interests prompt us to aim at an ascendant in the system of American affairs.Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, & John Jay -- The Federalist Papers
- His ascendants had indulged in hashish, but he preferred a different kind of gratification.Dan Brown -- Angels & Demons
- Thy happy star ascendant brought us luck, O let it not decline!Sophocles -- Oedipus the King
- It occurred to Max that he knew only the broadest strokes of the man's history: the Last Ascendant who sacrificed himself at the Siege of Solas.Henry H. Neff -- The Fiend And The Forge