(click/touch triangles for details)
Definitiongrow by addition - especially money over time
More rarely, "accrue" can also mean to "come into the possession of"
- Money in the bank account accrues interest.
- The house accrued to the oldest son.
- Benefits accrue from the employee's first day on payroll.
- Little by little a force had accrued, as secret and silent as interest in a bank account.Stephen King -- The Shining
- I have a few years of leave accrued.Orson Scott Card -- Ender's Game
- What I want is, that you should write to your sisters and tell them of the fortune that has accrued to them.Charlotte Bronte -- Jane Eyre
- For the most part, their armor protected them from cuts, but it did not protect them from lumps and bruises, of which they accrued many.Christopher Paolini -- Inheritance
- His accent was faintly British, the years in America having softened it, but without accruing any jarring American inflections.Abraham Verghese -- Cutting for Stone
- You needed your luck, and whatever benefits accrued to the diligent, through sheer, grinding hard work.Michael Crichton -- The Andromeda Strain
- Vacations don't accrue until the second year.Eric Schlosser -- Fast Food Nation
- The nation is lulled by the temporary prosperity which accrues to it, until it is roused to a sense of its own misery.Alexis de Toqueville -- Democracy In America, Volume 1
- It went on and on, finally stating that if he died she was to receive "all proceeds" accruing to the company, "both gross and net."Russell Baker -- Growing Up
- And if there's no ingress or egress—no valve through which may be vented the various pressures that accrue naturally in a closed temporal system—"Ransom Riggs -- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- If you accrued 100,000 points, you got a shotgun.Jodi Picoult -- Nineteen Minutes
- What earthly benefit can accrue from such a crime-even in the most diseased imagination?Agatha Christie -- The ABC Murders
- He walked to the top of a rise and crouched and watched the day accrue.Cormac McCarthy -- The Road
- It's been accruing while you've been away.Henry H. Neff -- The Fiend And The Forge
- Only when we began to make cautious overtures to each other did any of the system's mystique accrue to us.Pat Conroy -- The Lords of Discipline
- But above all other benefits accruing, I had learned something.Mark Twain -- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
- Then there were other benefits accruing to Marija from this friendship—benefits of a more substantial nature.Upton Sinclair -- The Jungle