All 5 Uses of
- The slanderous word, The boastful lie, were never heard.†
Book 1 *
- Not one in all the world I know, Not outcast wretch, not secret foe, Whose whispering lips would dare assail His spotless life with slanderous tale.†
- This groundless charge has ne'er been heard, Nor shouldst thou speak the slanderous word.†
- But haply some who hate me still And watch their time to work me ill, Have slandered me to Raghu's son, Accused of deeds I ne'er have done.†
- For else had many a slanderous tongue Reproaches on mine honour flung, And scorned the king who, love-impelled, His consort from the proof withheld.†
(slander) lie to damage the reputation of another; or the lies toldeditor's notes: The legal distinction between libel and slander is that libel is an oral offense while slander is written or published.