used in Gifted Hands
(click/touch triangles for details)
a struggle or disagreement
in various senses, including:
- a serious disagreement — as in "political conflict"
- the tension from two opposing ideas or feelings — as in "I'm conflicted about where I should go to college."
- a violent fight or war — as in "the Israeli-Palestinian conflict"
- an idiom that refers to tension between responsibilities to different entities — "conflict of interest"
- My story would be incomplete if I didn't add that during my year as an intern when I was in general surgery I had a conflict with one of the chief residents, a man from Georgia named Tommy.
- On one occasion the underlying conflict came into the open when I asked, "Why do we have to draw blood from this patient?
There are no more uses of "conflict" in Gifted Hands.