used in The Hidden Oracle
(click/touch triangles for details)
to take on as one's own
The exact meaning of adopt
depends upon its context. For example:
- "adopt a child" — to legally take on parental responsibilities for another person's child
- "adopt a plan" — to accept or begin to use something
- "adopt a pet" — to take in a pet — especially one from an animal shelter
- "Congress adopted the resolution." — had a formal vote and passed
- "adopted a confident attitude" — took on or displayed
- I got the feeling she had accepted my fealty and adopted us into her brood.
- She reminded me of the strays my sister was always adopting: dogs, panthers, homeless maidens, small dragons.
- Whoa, you are not adopting thah—
- I could see why the other campers might adopt the boy as their unofficial mascot.
There are no more uses of "adopt" in The Hidden Oracle.