Both Uses of
The Hidden Oracle
- After navigating several torchlit corridors, we burst into a crowded modem bakery that, according to the menu board, had the dubious name THE LEVEL TEN VEGAN.†
p. 176..3 *
- I found this dubious, since Paolo was prone to serious injury, but as a god, I had learned never to turn down offerings.†
(dubious) doubtfulin various senses, including:
- questionable or doubtful that something should be relied upon -- as in "The argument relies on a dubious assumption."
- suspicious or doubtful that something is morally proper -- as in "The company is accused of using dubious sales practices to influence minors."
- bad or of questionable value -- as in "The state has the dubious distinction of the highest taxes."
- uncertain or doubtful -- as in "She is dubious about making the change."