used in A Thousand Acres
(click/touch triangles for details)
to call upon
The exact meaning of invoke
can depend upon its context. For example:
- "invoking God's help"; or "invoking the spirit of the dead" — to call upon a great or magical power
- "I invoke the First Amendment"; or "I invoke the words of Thomas Jefferson" — to cite or call upon for validation
- "She invoked his sympathy and family memories." — to call upon someone's feelings or memories
- "She invoked his assistance." — to call earnestly for
- "The program invokes the subroutine" — to call up a computer program
- Caroline joined my father in invoking the revocation clause.
- He would not have invoked the names of his children or a desire to bequeath to us something substantial.
There are no more uses of "invoke" in A Thousand Acres.