(click/touch triangles for details)
- The kettle started to whistle and she didn't respond right away, and the thin persistent wailing filled the room.p. 198.8
- He had wanted to spare her, to protect her from loss and pain; he had not understood that loss would follow her regardless, as persistent and life-shaping as a stream of water.p. 109.3
- He had courted her with a slow, persistent patience, showing up, solid and steady, week after week, offering a fistful of flowers or some other cheerful gift, the pleasure on his face so real that she could not bear to turn him away.p. 165.4
- Once he began he couldn't stop, any more than he could stop rain, the stream running down the mountainside, or the fish, persistent and elusive as memory, flashing beneath the ice across the stream.p. 274.8
- And the thousands of others, one after another, his father layering image on image, trying to obscure the moment he could never change, and yet the past rising up anyway, as persistent as memory, as powerful as dreams.p. 400.6
There are no more uses of "persistent" in The Memory Keeper’s Daughter.
Typical Usage (best examples)