used in Unbroken by Hillenbrand
(click/touch triangles for details)
to keep or continue to have
The exact meaning of retention
depends upon its context. For example:
- a student's retention — what a student remembers (holds onto in memory)
- freshman retention — the number of freshman who return to the school the next year
- employee retention — how successful a firm is at keeping employees over the long term
- water retention — the holding of water in the body — as in "a salt-free diet to reduce water retention"
- retention bonus — a cash bonus paid to encourage a good employee to stay with a firm
- retention basin — a ponding area — typically intended to hold stormwater
- The stubborn retention of it, even in the face of extreme physical hardship, can hold a man's soul in his body long past the point at which the body should have surrendered it.
- Louie ate voraciously, got stronger, and expanded exponentially, his face and body bloating from water retention.
- But thanks to dramatic water retention, it was a doughy, moon-faced, muscleless weight.
There are no more uses of "retention" in Unbroken by Hillenbrand.