- How heavy a journey for weary feet! what wings must Atalanta have to flit over all this hollow and hill, through sour wood and sullen water, and by the red waste of sun-baked clay!Chapter 5 (22% in)
- Once, they say, even Atlanta slept dull and drowsy at the foot-hills of the Alleghanies, until the iron baptism of war awakened her with its sullen waters, aroused and maddened her, and left her listening to the sea.Chapter 5 (5% in)
- First there is the Swamp, to the west, where the Chickasawhatchee flows sullenly southward.Chapter 7 (48% in)
- At best, the natural good-nature is edged with complaint or has changed into sullenness and gloom.Chapter 7 (77% in)
- Here it was that the Home was ruined under the very shadow of the Church, white and black; here habits of shiftlessness took root, and sullen hopelessness replaced hopeful strife.Chapter 10 (61% in)
There are no more uses of "sullen" in The Souls of Black Folk.
Typical Usage (best examples)