Both Uses of
The Devil and Tom Walker
- Her husband was continually prying about to detect her secret hoards, and many and fierce were the conflicts that took place about what ought to have been common property.†
- Her voice was often heard in wordy warfare with her husband; and his face sometimes showed signs that their conflicts were not confined to words.†
(conflict) a struggle or disagreementin various senses, including:
- a serious disagreement -- as in "political conflict"
- the tension from two opposing ideas or feelings -- as in "I'm conflicted about where I should go to college."
- a violent fight or war -- as in "the Israeli-Palestinian conflict"
- an idiom that refers to tension between responsibilities to different entities -- "conflict of interest"