2 meanings, 16 uses
(click/touch triangles for details)
1 —3 uses as in:
Talk to me when your sober.
- Even so, the arrangement was a threat to the sobriety of the deacons, some of whom considered it their duty to spend their evenings in the saloon, safeguarding the piano.Chapters 1-2 (77% in)
Other Uses (with this meaning)
- "Sobriety, if you guzzle enough of it," Augustus said.Chapters 74-74 (92% in)
- But every man in the Territory had insisted on buying the deputy a drink since then; perhaps he had been capable of sobriety before he became a hero.Chapters 101-102 (55% in)
There are no more uses of "sober" flagged with this meaning in Lonesome Dove.
2 —1 use as in:
I need to sober up.
- —sobered up immediately when they saw the condition Pea Eye was in.Chapters 93-94 (93% in)
There are no more uses of "sober up" flagged with this meaning in Lonesome Dove.
? —12 uses
exact meaning not specified
- Augustus looked sober and reasonably serious.Chapters 95-96 (77% in)
- Since there weren't enough sober men in church that morning to carry it inside, Mrs. Pink Higgins, who played it, had to sit out in the street and bang away at the hymns, while the rest of the congregation, ten ladies and a preacher, stayed inside and sang.Chapters 1-2 (77% in)
- "Because I want him sober tonight," Call said.Chapters 9-10 (19% in)
- I want you both sober.Chapters 9-10 (19% in)
- " "I could be sober as the day I was born and not find no hundred horses," Augustus said.Chapters 9-10 (19% in)
- " "It'll sober you up," another voice said.Chapters 74-74 (28% in)
- The two who were soberest were laughing at the third because he was so drunk he was trying to mount his horse from the wrong side.Chapters 75-76 (87% in)
- Luke asked the soberest cowboy.Chapters 75-76 (87% in)
- "Of course you boys are way too sober to be visiting whores," he said.Chapters 85-86 (57% in)
- "While I'm about it, I'd advise you to take a sober look at your prospects.Chapters 95-96 (46% in)
- If you persist in your attachment to your right leg it'll be the last opportunity you have to take a sober look at anything.Chapters 95-96 (47% in)
- "If I were you I'd make your will while you're still sober.Chapters 95-96 (55% in)
There are no more uses of "sober" in Lonesome Dove.