- So I found it sheer hypocrisy for him to label Old Freddy's DISGUSTING and DEGRADING.p. 348.5
- Mr. Fish fell over what was meant to be his grave, and the sheer terror in Owen's cry was matched by a corresponding terror in the audience.p. 248.3
- I had looked under the Christmas tree this year, in the living room of 80 Front Street, and was touched at Dan's and my grandmother's efforts to match the sheer number of presents—for me—that usually lay under the Eastmans' tree in Sawyer Depot.p. 255.5
- The sheer volume (if not the value) of the homework would tire them out, and everyone knew that tired boys were safer boys; the numbing routine, the strict attentions paid to the dress code, the regulations regarding only the most occasional and highly chaperoned encounters with the female sex .... all this would certainly civilize them.p. 268.9
- But the placement of the sheet music had the look of meticulous specificity, and the sheer volume of it argued that the couch was never sat upon—not to mention, unfolded— and this evidence suggested that Mr. McSwiney slept elsewhere, too.p. 357.9
There are no more uses of "sheer" in A Prayer for Owen Meany.
Typical Usage (best examples)