(click/touch triangles for details)
- You're always talking about 'doubt as the essence and not the opposite of faith'—but it seems to me that your doubt has taken control of you.p. 550.9
- I was, at best, a cautious skier, modeling my slow, wide turns on my mother's graceful but undaring stem Christie—she was a pretty skier . of intermediate ability who was consistently in control; she did not think that the essence of the sport was speed, nor did she fight the mountain.p. 55.4
- Although he knew all the best—or, at least, the least boring—stories in the Bible, Mr. Merrill was most appealing because he reassured us that doubt was the essence of faith, and not faith's opposite.p. 114.5
- In both classes, Pastor Merrill preached his doubt-is-the-essence-of-and-not-the-opposite-of-faith philosophy; it was a point of view that interested Owen more than it had once interested him.p. 314.4
- The woman had been, in her view, courageous enough to present herself to me; that I hadn't the courage to accept her generous gift clearly marked me as the fiendish essence of cowardice.p. 539.3
There are no more uses of "essence" in A Prayer for Owen Meany.
Typical Usage (best examples)