(click/touch triangles for details)
- Growing Anxiety/Two Grandfathers and a Twilight Boat Ride.4.9 - Growing Anxiety / Two Grandfathers and a Twilight Boat Ride (0% in)
- Being lifted like this into regions whose air he had never breathed before and whose sparse and meager conditions were, as he well knew, both unfamiliar and peculiar—it all began to excite him, to fill him with a certain anxiety.1.1 - Arrival (22% in)
- Hans Castorp was inspired by this meeting, and at the same time he sensed something like a growing anxiety, much like that suffocating feeling of being locked up in a box together with auspicious chance; what was more, the fact that the long-forgotten Pribislav had reappeared up here as Frau Chauchat and had looked at him with Kirghiz eyes made him feel as if he were locked up together with something inevitable and inescapable—an inescapability that both cheered and alarmed him.4.9 - Growing Anxiety / Two Grandfathers and a Twilight Boat Ride (28% in)
- Prior to that event, however, was Christmas, two days of festivities—or three, if you counted Christmas Eve—that Hans Castorp had awaited with some anxiety, shaking his head now and then, wondering what they would be like here, only to discover that they came and went like normal days with a morning, afternoon, and evening, with the usual whims of the weather (a slight thaw set in), and were indistinguishable from others of their sort, apart from a little external decoration and the...5.8 - Danse Macabre (0% in)
- The suggestion had been Hans Castorp's, and although Joachim had some doubts at first because of poor Karen, he had yielded, admitting that it would have been pointless to play hide-and-seek with her, shielding her out of anxiety, a la cowardly Frau Stohr, from anything that might remind her of her mortality.5.8 - Danse Macabre (95% in)
There are no more uses of "anxiety" in The Magic Mountain.
Typical Usage (best examples)