- Though I believe Pearl Harbor itself would have passed by them tonight, intent as they were on devouring the manioc.Book 5 — Exodus (57% in)
- It was pocked all over with little funnel-shaped snares, where the ant lions lay buried at the bottom, waiting for some poor insect to stumble into the trap and get devoured.Book 3 — Judges (25% in)
- I should have been devoured in my bed, for all I seem to be worth.Book 3 — Judges (95% in)
- There she was, planted before me in the path, rising on thin legs out of the rootless devouring earth.Book 3 — Judges (95% in)
- The enslaved parrot Methuselah, whose flesh has been devoured now by many generations of predators, is forcing his declaration of independence through the mouths of leopards and civet cats.Book 7 — The Eyes in the Trees (53% in)
There are no more uses of "devour" in The Poisonwood Bible.
Typical Usage (best examples)