used in The Color Purple
only 1 use
(click/touch triangles for details)
to take on as one's own
The exact meaning of adopt
depends upon its context. For example:
- "adopt a child" — to legally take on parental responsibilities for another person's child
- "adopt a plan" — to accept or begin to use something
- "adopt a pet" — to take in a pet — especially one from an animal shelter
- "Congress adopted the resolution." — had a formal vote and passed
- "adopted a confident attitude" — took on or displayed
- They don't even know they were adopted.
There are no more uses of "adopt" in The Color Purple.