(click/touch triangles for details)
- I divide the causes of human laughter into Joy, Fun, the Joke Proper, and Flippancy.Chapter 11 (13% in)
- But flippancy is the best of all.Chapter 11 (84% in)
- Among flippant people the Joke is always assumed to have been made.Chapter 11 (88% in)
- If prolonged, the habit of Flippancy builds up around a man the finest armour-plating against the Enemy that I know, and it is quite free from the dangers inherent in the other sources of laughter.Chapter 11 (93% in)
- As the uneasiness and his reluctance to face it cut him off more and more from all real happiness, and as habit renders the pleasures of vanity and excitement and flippancy at once less pleasant and harder to forgo (for that is what habit fortunately does to a pleasure) you will find that anything or nothing is sufficient to attract his wandering attention.Chapter 12 (58% in)
There are no more uses of "flippant" in The Screwtape Letters.
Typical Usage (best examples)