(click/touch triangles for details)
- Doubtless some of Tess d'Urberville's mailed ancestors rollicking home from a fray had dealt the same measure even more ruthlessly towards peasant girls of their time.1 — The Maiden (**% in)
- The impressionable peasant leads a larger, fuller, more dramatic life than the pachydermatous king.4 — The Consequence (2% in)
- As everybody knows, fine feathers make fine birds; a peasant girl but very moderately prepossessing to the casual observer in her simple condition and attire will bloom as an amazing beauty if clothed as a woman of fashion with the aids that Art can render; while the beauty of the midnight crush would often cut but a sorry figure if placed inside the field-woman's wrapper upon a monotonous acreage of turnips on a dull day.4 — The Consequence (93% in)
- You almost make me say you are an unapprehending peasant woman, who have never been initiated into the proportions of social things.5 — The Woman Pays (7% in)
- I am only a peasant by position, not by nature!5 — The Woman Pays (7% in)
There are no more uses of "peasant" in Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
Typical Usage (best examples)