2 meanings, 15 uses
(click/touch triangles for details)
1 —1 use as in:
Talk to me when your sober.
- and how long will yuh stay sober now?Act 3 (23% in)
sober = not under the influence of alcohol
There are no more uses of "sober" flagged with this meaning in The Iceman Cometh.
2 —1 use as in:
I need to sober up.
- It was composed in a wanton moment by the Dean of the Divinity School on a moonlight night in July, 1776, while sobering up in a Turkish bath.Act 1 (61% in)
There are no more uses of "sober up" flagged with this meaning in The Iceman Cometh.
? —13 uses
exact meaning not specified
- I discovered early in life that living frightened me when I was sober.Act 4 (37% in)
- The lie of a pipe dream is what gives life to the whole misbegotten mad lot of us, drunk or sober.Act 1 (12% in)
- A fine percentage, if I do say so, when you're dealing to someone who's sober and can count.Act 1 (65% in)
- CHUCK—Sure, he was sober, Baby.Act 1 (81% in)
- (then puzzledly) Sober?Act 1 (81% in)
- Well, bejees, he won't be sober long!Act 1 (81% in)
- Stone cold sober and dead to the world!Act 1 (96% in)
- It's staying sober and working that cuts men off in their prime.Act 1 (97% in)
- He is sober.Act 2 (45% in)
- Although these two have been drinking they are both sober, for them.Act 2 (62% in)
- He is absolutely sober, but his face is sick, and his nerves in a shocking state of shakes.Act 3 (32% in)
- Often vhen I am tronk and kidding you I say I am sorry I missed you, but now, py Gott, I am sober, and I don't joke, and I say it!Act 3 (44% in)
- But he was cold sober.Act 4 (10% in)
There are no more uses of "sober" in The Iceman Cometh.