- That Lily was a star fallen from that sky did not, after the first stir of curiosity had subsided, materially add to their interest in her.2.10 -- Book 2 Chapter 10 (29% in)
- Lily tossed aside the note and subsided on her pillows with a sigh.1.4 -- Book 1 Chapter 4 (1% in)
- Miss Stepney, when her first fright had subsided, began to feel the superiority that greater breadth of mind confers.1.11 -- Book 1 Chapter 11 (57% in)
- On the whole he was surprised; for though he had perceived that the situation contained all the elements of an explosion, he had often enough, in the range of his personal experience, seen just such combinations subside into harmlessness.2.3 -- Book 2 Chapter 3 (2% in)
- The servants came first, then a few charitable institutions, then several remoter Melsons and Stepneys, who stirred consciously as their names rang out, and then subsided into a state of impassiveness befitting the solemnity of the occasion.2.4 -- Book 2 Chapter 4 (20% in)
There are no more uses of "subside" in The House of Mirth.
Typical Usage (best examples)