(click/touch triangles for details)
- But for all his habit of making oracular statements and his slightly pompous manner, he was as kindly a man as the town possessed.2.8 (52% in)
- Pork lit one lamp and three candles and, with the pompous dignity of a first chamberlain of the royal bedchamber lighting a king and queen to their rooms, he led the procession up the stairs, holding the light high above his head.1.4 (83% in)
- He went off pompously toward a group of chaperons in one corner, and just as the two girls had turned to each other to discuss the possibilities of the secret, two old gentlemen bore down on the booth, declaring in loud voices that they wanted ten miles of tatting.2.9 (53% in)
- There were more shouts of approval, and Rhett Butler who had been lounging negligently against the counter at Scarlett's side whispered: "Pompous goat, isn't he?"2.9 (70% in)
- He neatly deflated the pompous and exposed the ignorant and the bigoted, and he did it in such subtle ways, drawing his victims out by his seemingly courteous interest, that they never were quite certain what had happened until they stood exposed as windy, high flown and slightly ridiculous.2.12 (68% in)
There are no more uses of "pompous" in Gone with the Wind.
Typical Usage (best examples)