(click/touch triangles for details)
- The old man's flat face and dark eyes showed nothing, but his voice was sullen with displeasure.5.5 -- Book 5 Chapter 5 -- The Ride of the Rohirrim (28% in)
- The wind blew, and the trumpets sang, and arrows whined; but the sun now climbing towards the South was veiled in the reeks of Mordor, and through a threatening haze it gleamed, remote, a sullen red, as if it were the ending of the day, or the end maybe of all the world of light.5.10 -- Book 5 Chapter 10 -- The Black Gate Opens (88% in)
- The vast vapours that arose in Mordor and went streaming westward passed low overhead, a great welter of cloud and smoke now lit again beneath with a sullen glow of red.6.1 -- Book 6 Chapter 1 -- The Tower of Cirith Ungol (6% in)
- The stair was dark, but on the roof-top the glare of the Mountain could still be seen, though it was dying down now to a sullen red.6.1 -- Book 6 Chapter 1 -- The Tower of Cirith Ungol (95% in)
- The sullen shrivelled leaves of a past year hung on them, grating and rattling in the sad airs, but their maggot-ridden buds were only just opening.6.2 -- Book 6 Chapter 2 -- The Land of Shadow (34% in)
There are no more uses of "sullen" in The Return of the King.
Typical Usage (best examples)