(click/touch triangles for details)
- Or to take a less grievous matter: it has been supposed by some that 'The Scouring of the Shire' reflects the situation in England at the time when I was finishing my tale.Forward (79% in)
- It would be a grievous blow to the world, if the Dark Power overcame the Shire; if all your kind, jolly, stupid Bolgers, Hornblowers, Boffins, Bracegirdles, and the rest, not to mention the ridiculous Bagginses, became enslaved.1.2 -- Book 1 Chapter 2 -- The Shadow of the Past (32% in)
- 'This is grievous news concerning Saruman,' he said; 'for we trusted him and he is deep in all our counsels.2.2 -- Book 2 Chapter 2 -- The Council of Elrond (80% in)
- These are evil tidings,' said Celeborn, 'the most evil that have been spoken here in long years full of grievous deeds.2.7 -- Book 2 Chapter 7 -- The Mirror of Galadriel (20% in)
- 'Grievous is our loss,' said Legolas.2.10 -- Book 2 Chapter 10 -- The Breaking of the Fellowship (62% in)
There are no more uses of "grievous" in The Fellowship of the Ring.
Typical Usage (best examples)