- 'I can't abide fog,' said Sam; 'but this seems to be a lucky one.2.9 -- Book 2 Chapter 9 -- The Great River (65% in)
- All Hobbits had originally lived in holes in the ground, or so they believed, and in such dwellings they still felt most at home; but in the course of time they had been obliged to adopt other forms of abode.Prologue (35% in)
- And on a time evil things came forth, and they took Minas Ithil and abode in it, and they made it into a place of dread; and it is called Minas Morgul, the Tower of Sorcery.2.2 -- Book 2 Chapter 2 -- The Council of Elrond (19% in)
- ' "I can't abide changes," said he, "not at my time of life, and least of all changes for the worst."2.2 -- Book 2 Chapter 2 -- The Council of Elrond (74% in)
- If our folk had been exiled long and far from Lothlorien, who of the Galadhrim, even Celeborn the Wise, would pass nigh and would not wish to look upon their ancient home, though it had become an abode of dragons?2.7 -- Book 2 Chapter 7 -- The Mirror of Galadriel (26% in)
There are no more uses of "abide" in The Fellowship of the Ring.
Typical Usage (best examples)