- But the extreme impertinence of the Baron determined him to conclude the match, and Cunegonde pressed him so strongly that he could not go from his word.Chapter 30 (2% in)
- He was forced to make a choice; he determined, in virtue of that gift of God called liberty, to run the gauntlet six-and-thirty times.Chapter 2 (74% in)
- These last words determined Candide; he went and flung himself at the feet of the charitable Anabaptist James, and gave him so touching a picture of the state to which his friend was reduced, that the good man did not scruple to take Dr. Pangloss into his house, and had him cured at his expense.Chapter 4 (76% in)
- My mother, in despair, and scarcely less afflicted than myself, determined to absent herself for some time from so fatal a place.Chapter 11 (29% in)
- I am determined to share your fate, and have been much more affected with your misfortunes than with my own.Chapter 12 (91% in)
There are no more uses of "determine" in Candide.
Typical Usage (best examples)