(click/touch triangles for details)
- Men will even give their lives if only the ordeal does not last long but is soon over, with all looking on and applauding as though on the stage.Book 2 — An Unfortunate Gathering (41% in)
- The Sufferings Of A Soul, The First Ordeal And so Mitya sat looking wildly at the people round him, not understanding what was said to him.Book 9 — The Preliminary Investigation (18% in)
- The Second Ordeal "You don't know how you encourage us, Dmitri Fyodorovitch, by your readiness to answer," said Nikolay Parfenovitch, with an animated air, and obvious satisfaction beaming in his very prominent, short-sighted, light gray eyes, from which he had removed his spectacles a moment before.Book 9 — The Preliminary Investigation (30% in)
- Chapter V. The Third Ordeal Though Mitya spoke sullenly, it was evident that he was trying more than ever not to forget or miss a single detail of his story.Book 9 — The Preliminary Investigation (41% in)
- And so, if he has confessed, then why, I ask again, did he not avow the whole truth in the last letter he left behind, knowing that the innocent prisoner had to face this terrible ordeal the next day?Book 12 — A Judicial Error (58% in)
There are no more uses of "ordeal" in The Brothers Karamazov.
Typical Usage (best examples)