used in The Awakening
(click/touch triangles for details)
a quick look or partial understanding
The exact meaning of glimpse
can depend upon its context. For example:
- "I caught a glimpse of her when I was walking to class." — a very quick look
- "I glimpsed at the headlines." — looked quickly
- "Reading the book gave me a glimpse of the life of a devout Muslim immigrant in America." — a quick, incomplete view
- The little glimpse of domestic harmony which had been offered her, gave her no regret, no longing.
Chapter 18 (93% in)
- I always feel so sorry for women who don't like to walk; they miss so much—so many rare little glimpses of life; and we women learn so little of life on the whole.
Chapter 36 (41% in)
There are no more uses of "glimpse" in The Awakening.