used in The Aeneid
(click/touch triangles for details)
a quick look or partial understanding
The exact meaning of glimpse
can depend upon its context. For example:
- "I caught a glimpse of her when I was walking to class." — a very quick look
- "I glimpsed at the headlines." — looked quickly
- "Reading the book gave me a glimpse of the life of a devout Muslim immigrant in America." — a quick, incomplete view
- If he but gain a glimpse, Juturna fears, And far away the Daunian hero bears.
Book 12 (51% in)
- Then to my father's house I make repair, With some small glimpse of hope to find her there.
Book 2 (94% in)
There are no more uses of "glimpse" in The Aeneid.