- But you stifled, negated, betrayed it.3.7 Part 3 Chapter 7 — "This is John Galt Speaking" (86% in)
- People were carting luggage, bundling their children, haggling at ticket windows, the stifled panic of their manner suggesting that what they really wanted to do was to fall down on the ground and scream with terror.2.5 Part 2 Chapter 5 — Account Overdrawn (67% in)
- I have often wondered at the smugness with which people assert their right to enslave me, to control my work, to force my will, to violate my conscience, to stifle my mind-yet what is it that they expect to depend on, when they lie on an operating table under my hands?3.1 Part 3 Chapter 1 — Atlantis (86% in)
- He jerked her closer, to stifle the sight and his own shudder.3.4 Part 3 Chapter 4 — Anti-Life (81% in)
- ...and you must drive as far as your mind will take you, with achievement as the goal of your road-that the man who has no purpose is a machine that coasts downhill at the mercy of any boulder to crash in the first chance ditch, that the man who stifles his mind is a stalled machine slowly going to rust, that the man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap, and the man who makes another man his goal is a hitchhiker no driver should ever pick up-that...3.7 Part 3 Chapter 7 — "This is John Galt Speaking" (28% in)
There are no more uses of "stifle" in Atlas Shrugged.
Typical Usage (best examples)