(click/touch triangles for details)
- I've heard many characteristics ascribed to him, but 'pliable' has never been one of them.2.5 Part 2 Chapter 5 — Account Overdrawn (74% in)
- He seemed to want her to consider him great, but never dare ascribe any specific content to his greatness.3.4 Part 3 Chapter 4 — Anti-Life (30% in)
- A year ago, he would have told himself that this was her way of making amends; he would have choked his revulsion against her words, words which conveyed nothing to him but the fog of the meaningless; he would have violated his mind to give them meaning, even if he did not understand; he would have ascribed to her the virtue of sincerity in her own terms, even if they were not his.3.6 Part 3 Chapter 6 — The Concerto of Deliverance (21% in)
- The newspapers, like puppets on tangled strings, were shouting with the same belligerence and on the same dates: "It is social treason to ascribe too much importance to Hank Rearden's desertion and to undermine public morale by the old-fashioned belief that an individual can be of any significance to society.3.7 Part 3 Chapter 7 — "This is John Galt Speaking" (2% in)
- No matter what unintelligible causes he ascribes to his incommunicable feelings, whoever rejects reality rejects existence-and the feelings that move him from then on are hatred for all the values of man's life, and lust for all the evils that destroy it, A mystic relishes the spectacle of suffering, of poverty, subservience and terror; these give him a feeling of triumph, a proof of the defeat of rational reality.3.7 Part 3 Chapter 7 — "This is John Galt Speaking" (65% in)
There are no more uses of "ascribe" in Atlas Shrugged.
Typical Usage (best examples)