(click/touch triangles for details)
- In hallway and front parlor she was conscious of dinginess and lugubriousness and airlessness, but she insisted, "I'll make it all jolly."Chapter 3 (97% in)
- A lugubrious bay-window to the right of the porch.Chapter 3 (93% in)
- Carol kissed her cheek, and frisked into the lugubrious sitting-room.Chapter 11 (76% in)
- It was only from duty that Carol dragged him and herself out of the warm hotel, into a stinking trolley, up the brownstone steps of the converted residence which lugubriously housed the dramatic school.Chapter 17 (81% in)
- She alternately detested herself for not appreciating the kindly women, and detested them for their advice: lugubrious hints as to how much she would suffer in labor, details of baby-hygiene based on long experience and total misunderstanding, superstitious cautions about the things she must eat and read and look at in prenatal care for the baby's soul, and always a pest of simpering baby-talk.Chapter 20 (5% in)
There are no more uses of "lugubrious" in Main Street.
Typical Usage (best examples)